060 Veganism as a Moral Imperative for Feminism?
Is veganism a moral imperative for feminists? A video on Everyday Feminism prompted the princesses to do a reaction episode, outlining why the video was so misguided and harmful for dialogue around this topic.
In This Episode
Everyday Feminism published a video that asks, “Does Feminism Require Vegetarianism or Veganism?” The article introduced vlogger Celia Edell who made the video, with the description of her as “a feminist vegetarian who doesn’t apply her choice to others.”
The video is misguided, sloppy and made by a vegetarian who should not be weighing in on vegan issues. The intersectional internets basically exploded with pissed off social justice warriors and vegan advocates, including us!, rushing to express anger and frustration at such an important topic being handled so poorly on such a large platform.
Nichole and Callie, both enraged by the video and not wanting to miss out on the fun, taped this episode as mostly a response to the video, but also to discuss the topic as a whole and, hopefully, with a bit more insight. Aph Ko’s amazing Facebook response is referenced several times, and linked to down below in the resources page, we highly recommend reading it. It won the internet that day.
Links and Information
- Vegan Business Owners Work to Open All Vegan Kitchen in West Baltimore (Baltimore Sun)
- United Nations Links Climate Change to Zika Ebola (The Hill)
- Pamela Anderson and PETA Working to Change Prison Meals to Vegan in Louisiana (The Vegan Herald)
Other Responses to Everyday Feminism Video
- Aph Ko’s face meltingly awesome Facebook Rant
- Striving With Systems’ Non-human Animals are Others: On Learning to Judge and the Limits of Choice