122 Responding to DxE’s Oppressive Activism-Gone-Wrong Video
Facebook was abuzz recently over a Facebook Live video filmed by Chase Avior of Direct Action Everywhere that documented him and another person conducting an oppressive and antagonistic “action” in front of The Otheroom in Venice, CA. The action ended with avoidable violence and highlights exactly why a pro-intersectional approach to activism is so crucial in the animal rights movement.
In This Episode
Content Warning: white privilege putting people of color in danger, antagonizing violent action, violence
This week we talk about the recent Facebook Live video by Chase Avior and other members of DxE who decided to do a spontaneous action on the patrons of The Otheroom in Venice, CA; an action that ended with easily avoidable violence and potential danger to several people of color.
This video encapsulates exactly the reasons why ALL activism, animal rights and otherwise, needs to be pro-intersectional. These two participants use their white privilege to bully and endanger several people of color, all for an action against an establishment which doesn’t even serve food.
Facebook post with edited and original-length videos: https://www.facebook.com/groups/arzone/permalink/10155309323096457/
Joke in the Middle:
A sandwich walks into a bar and orders a beer. The bartender says…
Links and Information
- There are Diseases Hidden in Ice and They are Waking Up (BBC)
- Activist Not Charged for Giving Pigs Water (One Green Planet)
- Agriculture Secretary Pushes Milk Back Into Schools (VegNews)
- Lunch-Shaming Children for Parents Outstanding School Bills (NY Times)
Mentioned in this Episode
- The [White Savior] Elephant in the Room: Ally Theater, Savior Complex, and Speaking for “The Other”(Sistah Vegan): Dr. Breeze Harper and Christopher Sebastian discuss white animal rights activists joining the movement potentially to advocate for beings that can’t tell them they are doing it wrong. Lots of food for thought here, highly recommend everyone read this!