176 Vegans be Veganing: aka “The Case of the Ice Cream Truck and the Crying Child” (a Rantisode)
This week we have another rantisode for you: this time, we go off vegans veganing all over the internet. We weigh in on the recent kerfuffle around a woman giving a crying child money for ice cream, health veganism, and our culture of solutionizing.
In This Episode
This week, we’re fired up right out of the gate! The theme is Vegans be Veganing, and everything we cover today is on-theme, from the news to the joke to the main topic.
We decided to weigh in on the somewhat recent Twitter scandal where a vegan woman posted about giving a crying child money to buy ice cream from an ice cream truck and then was attacked for it.
Then we talk about a recent post in the VWPA Society group on Facebook around eating disorders and eating a plant-based diet, tying this into our growing hate for health veganism activism as well as the dangers of trying to force people who aren’t ready into a plant-based way of eating while not giving them non-food options for participating in a vegan practice.
Lastly, and relatedly, we talk about the rampant problem of “solutionizing” that we have in our culture at large, but also specifically in the vegan community.
Joke in the Middle
What do you call it when a vegan throws a fit? (thanks, Avery!)
Links and Information
- Kat Von D Accused of No Long Being Vegan Because of Pregnancy (Plant Based News)
- YouTube Star Logan Paul: “I’m Still Vegan, Dude” (VegNews)
- Vegan Man Doxxes Vegan Woman for Giving Dairy Ice Cream to Crying Child (Vice – Munchies)
- A Vegan Woman was Shamed on Twitter After Buying Ice Cream for a Crying Child (Thrillist)
- Anothy Dagher’s Twitter Thread