181 Mother! Movie Analysis with Andy Tabar from The Bearded Vegans
This week, Andy was kind enough to join Nichole to do an analysis of Darren Aronofsky’s latest mindbending masterpiece, ‘mother!’ – a film that Callie has NO interest in, lol. Nichole and Andy discuss the themes presented in this movie, as well as their interpretations and opinions of what happened in the story.
In This Episode
Andy and Nichole dig into the very many aspects of the dreamy-then-nightmarish tale that is ‘mother!’, including:
- Notes about the movie’s influences, development, message, etc.
- The relationship between Him and mother
- The theme of creation
- Humans and humanity
- Surrealist chaos and violence
- …and other things of note!
Overall, this movie fascinated us and seems to get better with every viewing. Knowing the themes and message of the movie can completely change a viewer’s experience, and we certainly found this to be the case when we each screened it for the second time. It is Nichole’s opinion that this is Aronofsky’s finest work, and that is saying a LOT as ‘Requiem for a Dream’ is one of her all-time favorite movies. However, the violence and surrealism likely makes this movie inaccessible to large groups of people, so we don’t know if we can exactly recommend people go watch it if they don’t have a good understanding of what they are getting into.
Joke in the Middle
What is the difference between a good joke and a bad joke?
Links and Information
- 4 Wounded In Shooting At Ontario Meat Festival (Plant Based News)
- Nestlé Pivots Focus to Meet Vegan Demand (VegNews)
- Darren Aronofsky’s Mother! is an explosive retelling of creation in fire and blood | by Alissa Wilkinson (Vox)
- ‘mother!’: Darren Aronofsky Answers All Your Burning Questions About the Film’s Shocking Twists and Meanings | by Anne Thompson (IndieWire)
- Mother! Ending Explained | ScreenPrism