191 Movie Analysis: I Feel Pretty…Upset About This Awful Movie
This week we talk about I Feel Pretty, a garbage piece of cinema that reinforces the messages it claims to be fighting.
In This Episode
We’re going in on I Feel Pretty, the recent movie starring Amy Schumer that generated a ton of controversy when it came out due to the confounding amounts of body shaming, mixed messaging, and the corporate sellout ending.
Joke in the Middle
What do you call a pile of kittens?
Links and Information
- There Is Not Enough Land on Earth to Support The Diet Recommended by Authorities (Science Alert)
- Betsy DeVos Eyes Federal Education Grants to Put Guns in Schools (NY Times)
- The Company Behind AirBnB and Dropbox is About to Dismantle Meat and Dairy (VegNews)
- U.S. Attempts to Push Excess Dairy onto China (VegNews)
Articles Referenced for this Episode
- In I Feel Pretty, Self-Acceptance Comes With a Price Tag | by Bridget Read | Vogue
- Opinion: Amy Schumer’s New Movie, ‘I Feel Pretty’, is Problematic as Fuck | Cosmopolitan
- ‘I Feel Pretty’ and the Rise of Beauty-Standard Denialism | by Amanda Hess | NY Times
- I Feel Pretty Is a Message Movie That Can’t Stay on Message | by Christopher Orr | The Atlantic