234 Pink Cheeks & Parasols: The White-Centricity of Sun Exposure Guidelines
We are discussing a fascinating article this week that reveals controversial information about the benefits of sunlight on skin, and how the guidelines we follow are, well, pretty damn racist.
In This Episode
- The Supreme Court Stopped The Census Citizenship Question — For Now (FiveThirtyEight)
- Young Americans Are Becoming Less Comfortable With LGBTQ People, GLAAD Finds (HuffPost)
- Leada Stray FB Live video – Stonewall Inn tried to Silence a Black Trans Woman (Facebook)
- https://twitter.com/aspeneberhardt/status/1144521656129531904?s=21 (Twitter)
Stuff in the Middle
I stayed up all night wondering where the sun went….
Twitter Thread on Executive Function
LAST CHANCE!!! Support Food Empowerment Project’s Annual School Supply Drive!
FEP is doing their annual school supply drive and need your help to make sure the children of farm workers get school supplies for this coming school year. Please consider donating if you are at all able, this annual event deeply touches our hearts and makes a direct difference in the lives of the children of the people who pick our food.
They are looking for the following supplies:
– Backpacks (always in great need; no red or bright blue, no military/camo, no corporate logos/promotions)
– Spiral notebooks (college and wide ruled, 100 sheets)
– Composition books (college & wide ruled, 100 sheets)
– White lined 3-hole filler paper (college & wide-rule, 100-sheet packs)
– Large erasers & pencil caps
– 3-Ring binder (1 inch)
– Highlighters (standard)
– Glue sticks (small)
– Pencil sharpeners
– 2-Pocket folders
– Pencil pouches
– Pencils or mechanical pencils
– Standard ballpoint pens (blue, black)
– Colored markers (regular tip, 10 pack)
– Basic handheld calculators
– Colored pencils (12 pack)
They will have drop off locations in the Bay Area starting June 24th through July 8th or you can ship directly to their office now through July 10th:
Food Empowerment Project
921 Transport Way, Suite 7
Petaluma, CA 94954
Nichole stumbled across an article about controversial research that proves the sun is our friend. The article talks about, amongst other things, how our sun exposure guidelines are made for the pastiest among us and our not conducive to optimal health in those with high melanin. Similar to food guidelines, sun exposure recommendations center whiteness.
- Is Sunscreen the New Margarine? (Outside Online)
- Skin Cancer in Skin of Color (NIH)
- Skin Cancer Facts & Statistics (SkinCancer.org)
- Skin Cancer (AAD)
- EWG’s 2019 Guide to Sunscreens (EWG)