023 Stop Pushing My Boundaries!
In This EpisodeOur culture in America raises us from birth to think our bodies are not our own, and that the effect of our choices on others is more important than making decisions that are best for ourselves. We see this is simple everyday ways, from telling small children that they have to hug people they don’t want to, to our friends browbeating us for not wanting to dance or drink or go to a party. We pressure each other all the time, trying to force everyone to always do the same thing for the sake of the crowd, whether or not it’s actually the best thing for the individual. Veganism turns all of this on its head. Veganism is a boundary that we set for the world, saying that we are stepping away from the system of carnism and that we will not allow certain foods into our bodies. We see the consequences in this every time someone tells us to “just cheat this once” or every time we are pointed out and bullied for daring to do something good for ourselves while refusing to participate in the culturally accepted practice of eating animals.
Links and InfoNews
- China Pledges to End Ivory Trading But Says US Should Too (Washington Post)
- Parent Company of Silk and So Delicious Acquires Vega (Veg News)
- Paper Mag: Free to be Miley about Miley Cyrus coming out as vegan, being gender fluid and helping at risk youth
- The Pervocracy: Consent Culture – explaining consent culture and all the ways that we can teach kids and each other to respect our own boundaries, as well as each others
- The Pervocracy: Rescripting Sex – how to have conversations about consent that are sexy
- Doctor Nerdlove: Getting A Yes (Instead of Avoiding A No) – The Standard of Enthusiastic Consent – enthusiastic consent and sex
- Our Feminist Playschool: Building Consent in Our Youngest Children
If you love us, share us!