039 Compliment Culture and Body Image Issues
In This EpisodeInspired by an article in Washington Post about the effects of the compliments that we give little girls, Nichole wanted to discuss what it’s like having body dysmorphic disorder (information and resources below) and trying to navigate a world that focuses on appearances when most days, all she wants to do is forget that she has an appearance. Together, we could change this. Start in your social group: focus on what you enjoy about the people you love instead of how they look. Comment on a contagious smile, and infectious laugh, an eye for mixing prints. It’s of course ok to let someone know you think they are beautiful, but we can stop making appearance the very first thing we comment on, and we can give people space to lose weight or try a new hair cut without feeling like they’re being watched.
Links and InformationNews
- Brown University Fraternity Goes Vegan For a Week (VegNews)
- Learn Anatomy By Dissecting Knitted Animals (I Fucking Love Science)
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder Symptoms (Mayo Clinic)
- What Causes BDD? (Kids Health)
- Getting Help (BDD Foundation)
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder Support Groups (+supportgroups)
If you love us, share us!