055 Should We Share Content by People We Despise? The Bearded Vegans Co-host
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSSThe Princesses team up with The Bearded Vegans to discuss whether we should share good content made by bad (or problematic) people. Things are getting beard at VWPA!
In This EpisodeNichole and Callie team up with Andy and Paul from The Bearded Vegans to talk about the ethics of sharing good content by people, or organizations, that do problematic things. Do you share Gary Yourofsky’s “Best Speech Ever” knowing that he’s a hateful misanthrope? Do you share a funny video by PETA, knowing that they fat shame and use women’s bodies to sell veganism? Trickier still is when you know something about someone that isn’t necessarily public – do you pull down an interview, remove a promotional blog post, make it public? It was a great conversation, full of laughs and insightful comments. There’s no easy answers, but there were some parameters established by the end of the show. Favorite moment: when Paul dubbed Gary Yourofsky the “Trump of Veganism”
Links and InformationRelated Links
- Episode 14: Why Nichole Hates PETA
- PETA to Detroit: Go Vegan for a Month, We’ll Pay Your Water Bill (NBC News)
- Oregon Militia Makes Plea for Snacks, PETA Responds With Yummy Vegan Jerky (Alternet)
- Slow Burn: The Internal Implosion of Direct Action Everywhere (EcoRazzi)
- It’s Not Intersectional, It’s DxE: An Exposé Written By DxE’s Victims (Dismantle DxE)
- The VeganEgg! Loved by Princesses, Hated by Beards
- The Vegan Zombie: Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
If you love us, share us!