098 How to Survive Thanksgiving…and Maybe Also Not Celebrate It?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSSSince we are heading into holiday season: we briefly recap our top tips for surviving these trying times, then talk about reasons to consider not celebrating Thanksgiving, and finally present some ways you can protest this fucking bullshit capitalist system we live in.
In This EpisodeA mixed bag episode, the Princesses kick it off by doing a high-level recap of our favorite holiday survival tips to get through the waking nightmare that is a non-vegan Thanksgiving. Then we broach the idea of protesting the bloody history of our country by refusing to participate in Thanksgiving. You know, light stuff. Thanksgiving itself was a holiday established to celebrate the brutal massacre of a Pequot village:
“I learned that in 1637 the body of a white man was discovered dead in a boat. Armed settlers — which we tell our children were God fearing, gentle, sharing, kind Pilgrims — invaded a Pequot village. They also set the village, which included many children, on fire. Those who were lucky enough to escape the fire were systematically sought, hunted down and killed. While many, including historians, still debate what exactly happened this day, also known as the Pequot Massacre, it directly led to the creation of “Thanksgiving Day.” This is what the governor of Bay Colony had to say days after the massacre, “A day of thanksgiving. Thanking God that they had eliminated over 700 men, women and children.”Finally, we finish off by listing some ideas for holiday season protest: boycott Black Friday & Cyber Monday, don’t buy gifts or limit them, shop locally, bring awareness to the Thanksgiving celebrations that you attend.
(quote taken from this article, referenced below).
Links and InformationNews
- Vegan Products to Grow by 11 Percent Annually (VegNews)
- Too Faced Acquired by Estée Lauder for $1.45 Billion (VegNews)
- Bipartisan Bill Launched to Ban Wild Animal Circuses (VegNews)
- Happy National Genocide (Thanksgiving) Day! (Huffington Post): “While many, including historians, still debate what exactly happened this day, also known as the Pequot Massacre, it directly led to the creation of “Thanksgiving Day.”
- Thanksgiving ‑ A Day of Mourning (Rights Matter): an excellent brief history of Thanksgiving’s bloody, horrific origins.
- National Day of Mourning (United American Indians of New England): information about the Thanksgiving day demonstration at Plymouth Rock, and how you can support it.
If you love us, share us!