107 Veganism is a Political Stance
In This EpisodeWhile we stand by our opinion that no one can take your V-card, and that you should be able to label yourself anyway that you want; we also wanted to talk about the fact that the word veganism was created in order to give those that believe animal exploitation is wrong a way to voice their dissent. Health veganism has taken some of the bite out of the label, and because of the mainstreaming of veganism, which is a good thing!, a lot of vegans are now distancing themselves from the politics of, well, being vegan. Now more than ever we need to support each other in dismantling the systems of oppression around us. So we ask that if you wear the vegan label but are not comfortable being political about it, that you don’t put down others who are.
A Brief History on the Origin of the Word “Vegan”500 BC+: “Shakahari” (plant eater) originates in ancient India, concept learned by Pythagoras in ancient Greece and spread as the idea of vegetarianism. 1944: Donald Watson, Elsie Shrigley and four other non-diary veetarians decide a shorter, easier word for non-dairy vegetarian is needed and come up with “vegan,” which is the beginning and the end of “vegetarian.” 1949: Leslie J Cross defined veganism as “[t]he principle of the emancipation of animals from exploitation by man”. This is later clarified as “to seek an end to the use of animals by man for food, commodities, work, hunting, vivisection, and by all other uses involving exploitation of animal life by man.” 1979: the Memorandum and Articles of Association updated the definition of veganism to what we commonly refer today, as: a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals.
Links and InformationNews
- After 146 Years Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus to Shut Down (NPR)
- Dairy Industry Killed Off 500,000 Cows In Alleged Price-Fixing Scheme (Huffington Post)
- PETA Honoring Dan Donovan at Inagural Ball. Their event flyer here. Explanation of why this is so awful here.
- Leaked Footage From ‘A Dog’s Purpose’ Film Set Leads to Canceled Premiere (ABC News)
- We the People: public art for the inauguration and beyond (Kickstarter)
- History (The Vegan Society)
- History of vegetarianism (Wikipedia)
- Why I’m Skipping The Women’s March on Washington [OPINION] (Colorlines)
If you love us, share us!