135 Impostor Syndrome: Getting Real about Feeling Fake
Today we’re being super vulnerable and talking about, gulp…Impostor Syndrome! Something we both suffer from, which means we feel really weird talking about it! So, buckle up and get ready to hear us get real real about feeling like frauds!
In This Episode
Impostor Syndrome (actually known as Imposter Phenomenon in the industry – see, we’re already fucking up!) was first described by psychologists Suzanne Imes, Ph.D., and Pauline Rose Clance, Ph.D., in the 1970s. It is not an actual diagnosis in the DSM but is recognized by psychologists as a legitimate form of self-doubt that impacts many, many people, marginalized folks especially. Today, we talk about:
- What is it, what are the signs/symptoms?
- Why are we talking about it?
- Who does it impact?
- Tips to overcome it
- How we see it tie into veganism, policing, perfection and consumption
Definition (from Wikipedia)
Impostor syndrome is a concept describing high-achieving individuals who are marked by an inability to internalize their accomplishments and a persistent fear of being exposed as a “fraud”.
Tips for Overcoming Imposter Feelings
- Decentralize Yourself
- Focus on providing value
- Accept that you have had some role in your successes
- Keep a file of people saying nice things about you
- Stop comparing yourself to that person
- Remember: being wrong doesn’t make you a fake
- Nobody belongs here more than you
- Realize that when you hold back you’re robbing the world
- You’re going to die
- Stream-of-conscious writing
- Be honest about what you do and don’t know
- Realize that nobody knows what they’re doing
- Take action
- Realize that you are never you
- Authenticity is a hoax
- Realize that this problem is only getting worse as more of us rely on our online presences
- See credentials for what they are
- Find one person you can say, “I feel like a fraud” to
- Faking things actually does work
- Talk to your mentors
- Recognize your expertise
- Remember what you do well, see where you could improve, in an honest way
- Develop and implement rewards for success
- Chip away at supersticious thinking
- Talk to a professional
Joke in the Middle
What do you call a fake noodle?
Links and Information
- Tinder Urges Users to Ditch Tiger Selfies (VegNews)
- Goat Cheese Dairy Farm Turns into Vegan Sanctuary (VegNews)
Researched for this Episode
- Feel Like a Fraud? (American Psychological Association)
- Is imposter syndrome a sign of greatness? (Quartz)
- Clance IP Scale – Impostor Phenomenon Scoring Test (PaulineRoseClance.com)
- 21 Ways to Overcome Imposter Syndrome (Startup Bros)
- When Women Feel Like Frauds They Fuel Their Own Failures (Forbes)