159 Universal Basic Income (Part 1)
This week (and next week) we are finally tackling a topic that we’ve been interested in for a long time: universal basic income (UBI)! In this episode, we define what UBI is, talk about the results of some studies done relating to UBI, talk about how much it might cost and where that money could come from.
In This Episode
Today we’re talkin’ universal basic income (UBI). The episode recording went REALLY long, so we decided to split it into two parts. Today’s portion talks about the facts and figures around UBI; next week we tackle more of the societal stigmas and beliefs around giving people money and why a lot of them don’t hold water.
Joke in the Middle
Why kind of ant can count?
Links and Information
- Grass is Running Out for Grass-Fed Beef (VegNews)
- Major Meat Producer Cargill Invests In Pea Protein to ‘Accelerate Production’ (Plant Based News)
- Wouldn’t Unconditional Basic Income Just Cause Massive Inflation? (Medium)
- Giving housing to the homeless is three times cheaper than leaving them on the streets (Vox)
- Should we give every homeless person a home? (BBC)
- California Spends Six Times More On Prison Inmates Than On College Students (Think Progress)
- Universal Basic Income: Why Elon Musk Thinks It May Be The Future (International Business Times)
- Why we should give everyone a basic income | Rutger Bregman | TEDxMaastricht (YouTube)
- The Meatonomics Index (Meatonomics.com)