199 Movie Analysis of Ferdinand: Toxic Masculinity is a Load of BULL! (hehe, get it?!)
This week we talk about Ferdinand, the adorable animated film by Blue Sky Studios that is based on the children’s book The Story of Ferdinand.
In This Episode
Don’t be a BULLy, be yourself! We dissect Ferdinand, the sweet story of a bull who doesn’t want to fight. We were impressed by the way the film seeks to dismantle toxic masculinity messages that children receive from the world and, sadly, often their parents. A heartwarming film with a great message.
- The mediocre Ferdinand mostly fails to bring a beloved kid-lit bestseller to life (AV Club)
- Ferdinand (2017) REVIEW – A Load Of Bull? (Cultured Vultures)
Mentioned in the Middle
- Midwest March for Animals (Facebook)
Joke in the Middle
What do you call a sleeping cow? Why are bulls afraid of archery?
Links and Information
- China’s plan to cut meat consumption by 50% cheered by climate campaigners (The Guardian)
- Yet Another #MeToo Stumble for the Animal Rights Movements (Nonprofit Chronicles)
- Get Off My Lawn: Trump Proposal Could Squelch Protests in D.C. (Bloomberg)
- Terrifying climate change warning: 12 years until we’re doomed (NY Post)