218 Dissection in the Classroom (Part 1): A Very Vegan Episode
In This EpisodeCONTENT WARNINGS! PLEASE READ BEFORE LISTENING This episode contains a difficult news item about rape by police (time stamp: 8:24 – 20:34 ) The main content discusses dissection and the treatment of animals sold for these purposes. We tried not to get too graphic, but some of the information could be too much for sensitive listeners.
- Fish stocks continuing to fall as oceans warm, study finds (The Guardian)
- Salt-Water Fish Extinction Seen By 2048 (CBS News)
- 2 Ex-NYPD Detectives Admitted to Having Sex with a Teen After Arresting Her. They Won’t Face Rape Charges. (Vice News)
- Exclusive: ICE Has Kept Tabs on ‘Anti-Trump’ Protesters in New York City (The Nation)
- H.I.V. Is Reported Cured in a Second Patient, a Milestone in the Global AIDS Epidemic (NY Times)
Joke(s) in the MiddleWhat will happen if Trump wins the presidency?
I used to work in a shoe recycling plant…
Main TopicThanks again to Kirstie for her phenomenal research on this topic!!! In part 1 of our (U.S.-centric) Dissection in the Classroom two-parter goes over a history/overview of dissection in the classroom, the policies or guidelines in high schools and universities, where the animals used for dissection come from, and some criticisms of dissection from students. Resources Referenced for this Episode
- New England Anti-Vivisection Society (NEAVS) FAQs
- Evaluation of Educator &Student Use of &Attitudes toward Dissection &Dissection Alternatives (NABT)
- AnimalLearn FAQs
- Everything You Need to Know About Dissection (PETA)
- Instructors Reconsider Dissection’s Role In Biology Classes (The Scientist)
- Dissection: Cruel or Educational? How This Practice Harms Both Animals and the Planet (OneGreenPlanet)
- The Creepiest Cat Collar Collection (peta2TV) – CONTENT WARNING: graphic images of dead cats
- Animals Used in Education (NAVS)
- Dissection Fact Sheet (Animals Australia)
- The Battle Over High School Animal Dissection (Pacific Standard)
- Dissection in the Biology Lab: Youngsters For and Against (NY Times Archives)
If you love us, share us!