221 Service Animals
In This Episode
- Why California leapfrogged the 2020 primary schedule (CNN)
- Chick-fil-A testing new vegan side dish at select restaurants (ABC)
- Arkansas Outlaws Labeling Cauliflower Rice as “Rice” (VegNews)
Joke(s) in the MiddleDo you want to hear a joke about construction? (thanks, Marja!) What do you get when you cross an elephant and a rhino? (thanks, New Amsterdam!)
Links to Stuff We Mentioned in the Middle
- AOC poppin’ off about “elitism” of Green New Deal (Facebook) – clock those gestures, yes girl!
- Chipotle “Pure Imagination” commercial: The Scarecrow (Vimeo)
- Check us out on Livegan! Episode #67!
Main TopicThank you to Julie for this wonderful research!!! Content Warning: discussion of use of animals for service, training and breeding practices Before you listen: we do not want this episode to be interpreted as ableist or blaming those who need animal assistance; rather to shed light on what the reality of service animals are and how we should be trying to shape the world to facilitate these functions without the use of a non-human animal, through technology, process or human assistance. Topics covered in this episode: where do service animals come from (breeding, training), how are they assigned to folks in need, some services that these animals provide, what the working life of a service animal looks like, ethical issues with service animals, and alternatives. Resources
- Whitmarsh, Lorraine (April 2005). “The Benefits Of Guide Dog Ownership”. Visual Impairment Research. 7 (1): 27–42.
- Breeding Code of Ethics (Guide Dogs UK)
- An Investigation of the Complexities of Successful and Unsuccessful Guide Dog Matching and Partnerships (NIH)
- Jones, Daisy (2016) Understanding why guide dogs fail to meet their predicted qualification outcomes (MRes thesis, University of Nottingham)
- Guide Dogs of America
- Guide Dogs of UK
- Guide Dogs of West Australia
If you love us, share us!