224 A Different Take On Identity Politics
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSSAnd unsettling theme is emerging among neoliberals… In striving for more diverse representation, are we starting to prioritize a candidates identity, over their actual policy positions?
In This Episode
- Pelosi: AOC Wing of Party Is ‘Like Five People,’ Dems Need to ‘Hold the Center’ (Common Dreams)
- California considers the unthinkable: Canceling horse racing at Santa Anita Park (Washington Post)
- Trump Loses Fight Over California’s Immigrant-Sanctuary Laws (Bloomberg)
- Billionaires raced to pledge money to rebuild Notre Dame. Then came the backlash. (Washington Post)
JokeThe Past, Present, Future walked into a bar….
Main TopicAfter the 2016 election, a lot of political commentators were criticizing the rise of “identity politics”, a phenomenon that basically meant people were *gasp* debating issues and voting based on the “social” issues that impacted their daily lives! Callie and Nichole, in a cross-over episode with The Bearded Vegans, talked about why the rise of “identity politics” not only made sense, but was a good sign of growing inclusiveness. This week the Prinxesses dust off the term “Identity Politics” to share their concerns with the way this concept seems to have changed in the two years since the 2016 election. What used to mean voting based on the issues that effected our identities, now seems to represent voting based on what “boxes” a candidate’s identity checks.
Links/ResourcesSince we mentioned a few different politicians and our criticisms of them, we wanted to provide links to those stories.
Cory Booker Joins Senate Republicans To Kill Measure to Import Cheaper Medicine from Canada (The Intercept)
Presidential candidate Kamala Harris probed over trans rights record (Pink News)
- *Correction – Callie mistakenly said that Kamala Harris was trying to block the inmates from receiving the medication to transition, it was actually the gender re-assignment surgery.
Kamala Harris’ A.G. Office Tried to Keep Inmates Locked Up for Cheap Labor (Daily Beast)
Bernie being interviewed on Palestine -and getting it wrong- (Facebook/AJ+)
If you love us, share us!